Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Can you be compelled to give a password?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:32:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () well com>
Date: July 28, 2006 10:21:06 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Can you be compelled to give a password?

Dave, I researched this question pretty extensively when I was at EFF, and my conclusion then was that the government could compel the production of encryption keys and passwords in general ... with the central exception that when the very act of production would itself tend to inculpate the person producing the key or password, the person probably has a Fifth Amendment privilege he could invoke to refuse to give over the key. It turns out to be tricky to invoke that privilege, though, for obvious reasons.

--Mike Godwin