Interesting People mailing list archives

snobol still lives

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:47:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bernard A. Galler" <galler () umich edu>
Date: July 26, 2006 8:34:15 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on snobol & java

** You guys are writing about SNOBOL as if it is long gone. I'm still using it, more than once a month, for an application I have. Actually, I use SPITBOL, a translator, as opposed to the original interpreter, which was available at least until 2003, from Catspaw (see www.snobol4.com).

I first met you, Dave, when we installed SNOBOL at the University of Michigan as the first installation outside of Bell Labs, and we have remained friends ever since!

I taught SNOBOL in every beginning software course at the U of M for 40 years, to show my students that FORTRAN and COBOL weren't the only way to design a language. I still meet people who remind me how they learned SNOBOL in my course. It had an impact!
Bernie