Interesting People mailing list archives

more on snobol & java

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:58:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
Date: July 25, 2006 7:53:48 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
Subject: RE: [IP] snobol & java

Dave,

Now this is a trip down memory lane....

--I first encountered Snobol in a course on "Non-Numerical Methods" taught at Stanford by Alan Kay and Gio Wiederhold, around 1971. [Is that really 35 years ago?!] It was running in batch mode on a 360/67. --I remember I was confused for a little while, until I figured out that (unlike other langauges) there was no EXPLICIT operator for concatenating two strings -- you just wrote them next to each other. --For the take-home exam at the end you could pick one of 3 problems, one of which was a Snobol project. As I recall, I struggled with it, finally figuring out that it could not be done -- to answer the particular question you needed to observe some internal state of the pattern-matching system, which was not available. With some trepidation I went to see Alan: "I've worked on this pretty hard, but I don't think it can be done...." He looked up and said something like, "Oh, I haven't even tried it...." After about 5 minutes of explanation he agreed, told me I'd done enough work, and said, "What are you doing this summer? Xerox is opening a research center here in Palo Alto...." I went for the summer, and stayed 14 years.

Cheers,

John Shoch
Alloy Ventures