Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FBI plans new Net-tapping push

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:14:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "A.Lizard" <alizard () ecis com>
Date: July 23, 2006 8:08:00 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: more on FBI plans new Net-tapping push

At 11:56 AM 7/10/06, you wrote:
There's a big problem with attacking strong crypto. Internet e- commerce *depends* on it. If people discover when they make purchases at "secure" websites, that their credit card and other ID info is getting regularly grabbed in transit and decrypted on the fly, e- commerce will come to a sudden end.

While the Bush Administration might be happy to see that kind of collateral damage, their support base within the Wall Street GOP would NOT be pleased.

A.Lizard