Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NYT: "Internet Users Thinking Twice Before a Search"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:25:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brock Meeks <Brock.Meeks () msnbc com>
Date: January 25, 2006 11:04:52 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] NYT: "Internet Users Thinking Twice Before a Search"

Oh give me a f**king break... "have caused some people to think twice
about the information they type into a search engine...."  I'm sorry,
what a waste of Hafner's journalistic talent to bother writing such a
piece but perhaps that's why I'm not an editor.

Look, I don't like this business about Feds trolling through online
searches either -- and just for those out there playing without a
scorecard, remember that my CyberWire Dispatch was one of the plaintiffs
that successfully challenged the constitutionality of the ill-fated
"Communications Decency Act" and got it overturned--but for people to
start being wary about what they crank into a search engine strikes me
as shamelessly meek.

Good grief, we don't fight injustice by going off the grid, so to speak.
I can understand if you really DO have something to hide that you would
double-clutch when punching up Google but for the vast majority of us I
say:  bring it on, Uncle Sugar.

The meme after 9/11 was that if we all stayed in our houses, stopped
traveling and hunkered down inside Fortress America then the terrorists
had already won; the image of a cowering and bleating American public
was (and is) flat out pathetic, embarrassing and just not cricket.

I will fight this latest government over-reaching any way I can but I
will DAMN sure not stop using search engines out of some misguided sense
of fear and loathing.