Interesting People mailing list archives

more on good news and bad news

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:42:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Christopher F. Herot" <cherot () herot com>
Date: January 24, 2006 2:32:36 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Subject: RE: [IP] good news and bad news

A lower tech solution would be to have Skype provide sidetone (the way POTS
phones do) so that by hearing his own voice the user would know not to
shout. A similar fix would be great to have in cell phones, as Dave Farber,
Don Norman and others have pointed out.

Of course we may all eventually learn that we don't need to shout - the same
way iPod users figure out they don't need to shout when they talk to
someone. The difference is that the iPod users get immediate feedback from
the person they are shouting at.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4229967 - Farber
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/minimizing_the.html - Norman