Interesting People mailing list archives

Torture flights: what No 10 knew and tried to cover up

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:02:37 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Randell [mailto:Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:44 AM
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Torture flights: what No 10 knew and tried to cover up

Hi Dave:

The main front page story in today's (UK) Guardian, and one of the
top stories on BBC Radio news today, is that of yet another leaked
Government memo.

Torture flights: what No 10 knew and tried to cover up

Leaked memo reveals strategy to deny knowledge of detention centres

Richard Norton-Taylor
Thursday January 19, 2006
The Guardian

The government is secretly trying to stifle attempts by MPs to find
out what it knows about CIA "torture flights" and privately admits
that people captured by British forces could have been sent
illegally to interrogation centres, the Guardian can reveal. A
hidden strategy aimed at suppressing a debate about rendition - the
US practice of transporting detainees to secret centres where they
are at risk of being tortured - is revealed in a briefing paper sent
by the Foreign Office to No 10.

 The document shows that the government has been aware of secret
interrogation centres, despite ministers' denials. It admits that
the government has no idea whether individuals seized by British
troops in Iraq or Afghanistan have been sent to the secret centres.

Dated December 7 last year, the document is a note from Irfan
Siddiq, of the foreign secretary's private office, to Grace Cassy in
Tony Blair's office. It was obtained by the New Statesman magazine,
whose latest issue is published today.

It was drawn up in response to a Downing Street request for advice
"on substance and handling" of the controversy over CIA rendition
flights and allegations of Britain's connivance in the practice.

"We should try to avoid getting drawn on detail", Mr Siddiq writes,
"and to try to move the debate on, in as front foot a way we can,
underlining all the time the strong anti-terrorist rationale for
close cooperation with the US, within our legal obligations."

The document advises the government to rely on a statement by
Condoleezza Rice last month when the US secretary of state said
America did not transport anyone to a country where it believed they
would be tortured and that, "where appropriate", Washington would
seek assurances.

The document notes: "We would not want to cast doubt on the
principle of such government-to-government assurances, not least
given our own attempts to secure these from countries to which we
wish to deport their nationals suspected of involvement in
terrorism: Algeria etc."

The document says that in the most common use of the term - namely,
involving real risk of torture - rendition could never be legal. It
also says that the US emphasised torture but not "cruel, inhuman and
degrading treatment", which binds Britain under the European
convention on human rights. British courts have adopted a lower
threshold of what constitutes torture than the US has.

The note includes questions and answers on a number of issues.
"Would cooperating with a US rendition operation be illegal?", it
asks, and gives the response: "Where we have no knowledge of
illegality, but allegations are brought to our attention, we ought
to make reasonable enquiries". It asks: "How do we know whether
those our armed forces have helped to capture in Iraq or Afghanistan
have subsequently been sent to interrogation centres?" The reply
given is: "Cabinet Office is researching this with MoD [Ministry of
Defence]. But we understand the basic answer is that we have no
mechanism for establishing this, though we would not ourselves
question such detainees while they were in such facilities".

Ministers have persistently taken the line, in answers to MPs'
questions, that they were unaware of CIA rendition flights passing
through Britain or of secret interrogation centres.

On December 7 - the date of the leaked document - Charles Kennedy,
then Liberal Democrat leader, asked Mr Blair when he was first made
aware of the American rendition flights, and when he approved them.
Mr Blair replied: "In respect of airports, I do not know what the
right hon gentleman is referring to."
. . .

Full text of the above article at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1689852,00.html

Follow-up analysis on an inside page:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/humanrights/story/0,,1689854,00.html

cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK