Interesting People mailing list archives

Michael Dell Should Eat His Words, Apple Chief Suggests

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:22:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: January 16, 2006 11:18:58 PM EST
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
Subject: Michael Dell Should Eat His Words, Apple Chief Suggests

Michael Dell Should Eat His Words, Apple Chief Suggests

By JOHN MARKOFF
The New York Times
January 16, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 15 - It may not be the last laugh, but on Friday
afternoon, after the close of the stock market, Steven P. Jobs, the
chief executive of Apple Computer, shared an e-mail chuckle with his
employees at the expense of Dell, a big rival.

The message was prompted by the 12 percent surge in Apple's stock
price last week, which pushed the company's market capitalization to
$72.13 billion, passing Dell's value of $71.97 billion.

In 1997, shortly after Mr. Jobs returned to Apple, the company he
helped start in 1976, Dell's founder and chairman, Michael S. Dell,
was asked at a technology conference what might be done to fix Apple,
then deeply troubled financially.

"What would I do?" Mr. Dell said to an audience of several thousand
information technology managers. "I'd shut it down and give the money
back to the shareholders."

On Friday, apparently savoring the moment, Mr. Jobs sent a brief
e-mail message to Apple employees, which read: "Team, it turned out
that Michael Dell wasn't perfect at predicting the future. Based on
today's stock market close, Apple is worth more than Dell. Stocks go
up and down, and things may be different tomorrow, but I thought it
was worth a moment of reflection today. Steve."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/16/technology/16apple.html? ex=1295067600&en=8b17969b8bb15481&ei=5090