Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Earthlink IPv6 in the Home

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:21:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: January 3, 2006 1:17:39 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Earthlink IPv6 in the Home

[Note: This comment comes from a reader of Farber's IP list. I have put together two messages from Suresh below. DLH]

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: January 2, 2006 5:58:10 PM PST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Earthlink IPv6 in the Home

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

    I want to call my readers attention to something neat that
Earthlink R&D did. They wanted to make it possible for more folks to be able to play with IPv6. They came up with a neat hack that uses a
Linksys  WRT54G, that turns it into an IPv6 appliance/router.  More
details  can be found at: < http://www.research.earthlink.net/ipv6/>.

This has been around for several months now, that I know of

Its a tunneled v6 connection for your IP, that locks you into elnk ..
you cant use the v6 part of it if you switch providers, I think

Plenty of third party firmwares around since quite some time, that
provide a v6 stack for the wrt54g .. and let you get a tunnel from
tunnelbroker, sixxs.net etc.

        suresh

Dewayne Hendricks wrote:

    How about some pointers to this information.  I'm sure that Dave
and  I would like to post such information as part of a follow up.

Hit send too soon

You have at least Openwrt and Sveasoft that I'm aware of ..

Sveasoft has a few controversies re its open source licensing - please
google for them and determine these for yourself. I dont use sveasoft so
haven't been tracking the license wars surrounding it.

OpenWRT is available at http://openwrt.org/

<http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php/ IPv6_on_the_WRT54G_via_OpenWRT>

This url should help you get started - needs some fairly simple command
line configuration, though. And of course caveat emptor because you're
basically voiding any chance of cisco / linksys support for your wrt54g
if you install third party firmware on it. [Not that it matters for a
$50 box you can pick up from Radio Shack]

        srs

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>