Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Steve Gibson: MS WMF is a Backdoor, Not a Coding Mistake

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:47:12 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 13, 2006 4:21:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Steve Gibson: MS WMF is a Backdoor, Not a Coding Mistake

As one of the Groklaw commenters reminds us, Gibson also wanted to take out the raw sockets calls in Windows because he thinks that they are a security hole when removing them only creates the illusion of security.

Just reading his analysis, the WMF is a classic operating system bug – a callback from a protected context. Given that the code has been around for a long time and seemed to work I can understand overlooking it. Calling it a conspiracy is very strange. It’s not completely different from the more subtle bug in expanding JPG files. As to asking Microsoft to patch all old versions of Windows they did -- the patch is called XP.

I do appreciate his explanation even if I don’t agree with his conspiracy theory.

Ideally there would be no bit rot in the world but the solution is simplicity rather than a combinatorial explosion of systems mixed with patches.

Let’s not confuse naïve hindsight analysis with understanding – it makes it more difficult to address the issues.

It’s also important to realize that the processor is not the only execution engine – all applications are execution engines that apply polices. Befuddling them is a standard attack vector – especially when the execution engine is a clerk interpreting a baroque policy (such as cellular plans).

As noted in Schneier’s comments on identity – we can’t fix human factors attacks with a simple technical patch as Gibson seemed to want to do with raw sockets.

Steve Gibson: MS WMF is a  Backdoor, Not a Coding Mistake

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-022.htm

  Those of you using Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP will want to follow

this story:  Steve Gibson has examined  WMF  and he now believes it

was  deliberately coded.   It looks to him that Microsoft put a

backdoor into Windows, which can be triggered even if Active X is

turned off and security is at high.

Archives at: http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting- people/