Interesting People mailing list archives

Itunes 6.02 = Spytunes?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:49:09 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: January 11, 2006 8:42:15 AM EST
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () g2-forward org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Itunes 6.02 = Spytunes?

From the since1968 blog:
http://since1968.com/article/153/itunes-is-watching

As noted at TUAW, iTunes 6.0.2 contains a new feature: the MiniStore. It’s
neat, at first. Sort of.

But not really.

Each time you play a different song, the MiniStore features information about the artist currently playing, as well as “Listeners Also Bought…” Here’s a full size capture of Apple marketing in action: as you can see, I’m playing Mary J. Blige covering U2’s “One”, and the MiniStore shows other albums from
Mary J. Blige and U2.

This means, of course, that every single time I play a song the information is sent back to Apple. You can turn off the MiniStore at the click of a button, but it’s not clear whether turning off the MiniStore is the same as turning off the flow of data (one doubts it). And don’t bother looking for a way to
turn this “feature” off in the Preference pane: it’s not there.

< snip >

However, users report that disabling the MiniStore option within the iTunes application, or blocking the app's network ports via LittleSnitch will fix this, but since I'm not running iTunes 6.X, I have not verified this yet.

Reportedly, MiniStore ships enabled, meaning those who download and run
iTunes 6.02 would be at-risk to this monitoring.

-rf
infowarrior.org