Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Nuclear Terrorism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:17:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brock Meeks <Brock.Meeks () msnbc com>
Date: January 2, 2006 2:02:03 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Nuclear Terrorism

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Hasan writes: "All of this scare-mongering is what he wants. Remember, his [bin Laden's] mujahedeen bankrupted the Soviet Union by making it implode from
within -- I see the same thing happening to America."

Unless I completely mis-read the historical geopolitical memo of the time, there were no Muj that belonged to Bin Laden at all. And Soviet's hardly went "bankrupt" over Afghanistan. The Soviet's pulled out of Afghanistan after they sucked the country dry of nearly all this natural resources. Tired of a war of attrition with the Muj, they saw little use in continuing to occupy a country that no longer held a financial gain for them. But bankrupt? Hardly.

However, the premise of your statement, that America could very well be going "bankrupt" has some legs. Although I doubt we will see us out of Iraq or Afghanistan during the current administration, I would throw cash at a bet saying the next president, regardless of party, will get us out of that mess, if for no other reason than the severe financial drain it is having on the U.S. economy.