Interesting People mailing list archives

the explaination of a experiment on ****yet***** Another new Google twist..

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:54:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harsha V Madhyastha <harsha () cs washington edu>
Date: January 9, 2006 8:59:35 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on ****yet***** Another new Google twist..

Dave,

Here is a brief explanation of the experiment that Google is carrying out. This was recently posted to the PlanetLab support mailing list by one of the members involved in this research.

Dear Jon,

it seems that your firewall is logging packets that are triggered by a
research experiment that I am involved in. It is being run by Google, and aims at measuring latencies to a small random fraction of Google clients.

The experiment is completely harmless: it only causes some Google clients to retrieve small pieces of content from Web servers running on port 81 of selected PlanetLab nodes. These content pieces are retrieved using HTTP connections that your firewall is logging. You notice 6 entries per connection because your firewall is logging every single packet that belongs to that connection, and there are apparently 6 such packets. The latencies to Google clients are estimated by the Web servers running on PlanetLab nodes based on the dynamics of packets forming the HTTP connections.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that this experiment might have caused to you. I must also tell you that you are extremely lucky to have been selected to participate in the experiment twice within 5 minutes, as it is extremely unlikely to happen.

Finally, given that retrieving small additional content from PlanetLab
nodes is perfectly safe, you can simply ignore the log entries produced by your firewall. However, should you decide to allow the additional HTTP connections to be opened, you will be helping in an exciting research experiment, for which I would be extremely grateful. I am also ready to answer any further questions you might have about this experiment.

Best regards,
Michal Szymaniak

>> Thu Jan 05 05:43:45 2006: Request 12581 was acted upon.
>> Transaction: Ticket created by jds () generalmail com
>>
>> Subject: Odd firewall traffic
>>
>> Sorry for the interruption! I hope you can help me. I'm perplexed by this:
>>
>> Jan 5 14:28:42 localhost kernel: jds-FW: IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.0.3 >> DST=128.101.191.245 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=31804 DF PROTO=TCP
>> SPT=33139 DPT=81 WINDOW=5808 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
>>
>> Jan 5 14:32:17 localhost kernel: jds-FW: IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.0.3 >> DST=164.164.104.163 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=7594 DF PROTO=TCP
>> SPT=52904 DPT=81 WINDOW=5808 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
>>
>> As you can see it's coming from inside my firewall. I have a home
>> router/firewall. This source (192.168.0.3) is my laptop which is running Debian >> 3.1. It has been behind the router/firewall since I installed it. I recently >> stared learning about the iptables firewall and have a default DROP policy. >> That's why I'm getting these logged. When these get logged they seem to log 6 >> hits at a time all on the same SPT and DPT and always to these two URL's which >> led me to you. I don't know that I have ever visited a coralized link as your >> site states. Either way I'm perplexed how and why this traffic is trying to go >> out from my laptop, and what it is trying to send out. I'm also wondering how to >> stop it other than adding another rule to DROP them before they get logged.
>>
>> Any help would be welcome!
>> Jon

Begin forwarded message: