Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Neighborhood Wireless Service (NWS)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:03:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "W.B. McNamara" <whitney () absono us>
Date: January 9, 2006 12:46:30 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Neighborhood Wireless Service (NWS)

I don't know what the provider options in Grand Rapids are, but it's worth investigation. I belive that SBC's TOS explicitly disallows "public use" connections, which doesn't mean that they'd necessarily shut you down, but does certainly mean that they they have would have the legal right to do so at
any time.

The "other providers" question is really worth exploring, though. I'm in NYC
and use a local ISP for DSL, and my provider explicitly *allows* public
sharing via wifi:

###
TOS Addendum Regarding WiFi Sharing

Acceptable Use Policy for WiFi (802.11b) Sharing

([ISP] standard ToS applies to this service.)

[ISP] clients are allowed to share their broadband Internet access
connection with the general public, by participating in NYCWireless or other communities using WLANs via the 802.11b protocol, if they comply with the
following additional conditions:

1. Clients must notify [ISP] of their participation, in order to insure
proper settings and security procedures. Please send email to dsl@ [ISP] to
notify us of your participation.

2. Client is ultimately responsible for any ToS or AUP violations by public users on client's connection (i.e. spamming, hacking, etc.). [ISP] reserves
the right to suspend or discontinue service if violation persists.

3. Client is also responsible for security of his/her own network and
computers.
###

(The ISP is bway.net, and I absolutely think that they deserve recognition for this policy, but I've snipped the name above in case you have concerns about appearing to promote specific companies...just delete this line if that's the
case.)

While NYC's geek density is such that it's no real surprise that we've got sharing-friendly ISPs around, it seems pretty likely that other metro areas
have ISPs run by like-minded people.  You could probably get away with
running a shared connection via a service that forbids such use (I know plenty
of people who do), but so much the better to reward a company that
acknowledges that you're paying for the bandwidth and should be able to use it
as you see fit.

- Whit

--
W.B. McNamara