Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Yahoo, AOL, Goodmail and IP]]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:59:47 -0500

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Yahoo, AOL, Goodmail and IP]
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:51:11 -0500
From: Charles Stiles <stilesch () aol com>
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

The fact is that delivery to AOL is, has been, and will continue to be based
upon reputation. The IP list does not need Cindy's intervention or influence
in order to successfully deliver email to AOL. This listserve was added to
AOL's whitelist quite some time ago (a couple of years if my memory serves
me correctly) and will remain so long as it doesn't engage in abusing AOL
members. This is the same whitelist that other bulk mailers use; it will
remain unchanged and continue to be free of charge as long as there is a
need for it and it serves our customer's best interests.

The CertifiedEmail product being offered is an optional, premium upgrade
that wont make economic sense for all organizations/companies. I fully
understand the slippery slope theory associated with email delivery that
involves a fee, but I still have three grades of gasoline to choose from and
the last time I checked, most organizations pay a fee for delivery today.
The difference is that they pay it to someone who cannot "guarantee"
delivery of the message. The service that is being offered is one the layers
upon our existing email service. Mailers have requested to have this option
for the emails that absolutely, positively must get delivered (think
e-tickets, confirmations, and receipts). The consumer still has the last
hand in the game and can always choose to refuse those messages just as they
can choose to affect the delivery of another other type message they
receive.

- --
Charles E. Stiles
Postmaster/Sr. Tech. Mgr.
Mail Operations, America Online
12100 Sunrise Valley Dr, Reston, VA 20191
email: stilesch () aol com ph: 703-265-4864 c:703-220-6530