Interesting People mailing list archives

Survey on putting electronics in checked airline baggage

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:53:36 -0400

Please send to Lauren NOT me Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: August 11, 2006 11:48:41 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Survey on putting electronics in checked airline baggage

[ Please distribute widely, as considered appropriate ]

I'm conducting a little unscientific survey on whether or not airline
passengers are willing to place their expensive or important
electronic equipment in airline checked baggage (whether "locked" or
not, but on most flights unlocked will be required), and how this
would affect their flying patterns.

With the above as preface, there are three questions:

1) Are you willing to place all of your significant electronic
   equipment (including laptop or other computers, cellphones,
   DVD players, iPods, etc.) in checked baggage for airline flights?

2) If you are required to place such electronic equipment in checked
   baggage, would it have a significant negative impact on your
   willingness to fly?

3) Do you mainly fly for business or pleasure?

I will only publish aggregated statistics from this survey, unless
individual persons specifically note that their responses may be
released publicly.

To participate in the survey, please e-mail a note (or simply
forward this message) with your responses to:

   baggage () vortex com

Only a one word reply is necessary to each of the questions
unless you wish to add comments, which are invited.

Thanks very much.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com