Interesting People mailing list archives

Information is dangerous

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:32:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Onosko <onosko () gmail com>
Date: August 11, 2006 2:00:39 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Information is dangerous

Dave Farber, for IP if you see fit.

RE: "liquid explosive" bombs triggered by electronic devices:

I wondered how long it would take after 9/11 (2001) to ban laptops, cell phones and other digital and radio-frequency-based hardware from airplanes. Instead, the focus was on metal dinnerware in First Class and pocket knives. The answer came this week, after the suspected "Gatorade" airline bomb plot in the UK. Remember, you have been able to pack a GPS in your carry-on luggage since 9/11, and if the paranoid souls who came up with pat-downs, profiling and airport sniffers couldn't think of the ultimate utility of simply being able to pinpoint your location while on a flight, how deep or complete is their real paranoia?

Don't get me wrong. I have never been afraid since 9/11, and once commuted between my home and Los Angeles for a living. (Since changed.) I figured that, if anyone ever tried it again, passengers would shut down the hijackers, as they did with the famous "shoe bomber" caught on that London flight, whatever the hell his name was. I don't have nightmares about Islamic militants, other than that we are probably minting more of them with a slow-witted, unintelligent foreign policy that convinces few (if any) that we are right.

But, from the beginning of all this -- 9/12, if you will -- the one thing that I was convinced of was that the progress of information and knowledge will lead to something. Not necessarily enlightenment, but something. Maybe that "other" 9/11 that has been spoken of since the first one. Maybe not, maybe a solution. I'd prefer to hope for the latter.

But 9/11 was, at least in part, the result of new methods of communication, information and knowledge. The hijackers were able to coordinate by international telephone, the Internet and cell phones. Today, inexpensive and plentiful technology give any individual the edge that was once exclusive to the military. Digital photography, the Internet, encrypted data? Now you're ahead of the game. Google Earth. Can you just imagine? And there is no way to shut down the threat without shutting down the progress of human knowledge and the march of information. So laptops, iPods, cell phones, garage door openers and anything that connects to another device or human being might as well be banned from all flights. They are the real danger, as is every idea and fact that can be conveyed by them, from the secrets of the atomic bomb to the time that a train passes an roadside intersection every day.

But, of course, there's a slight problem. If you ban these (as, of this writing, the British are doing at airports) you also stop human progress, industry and the global economy.

I am not one who has a solution to this, or frankly any other problem, but it is something to think about.

- Tim Onosko