Interesting People mailing list archives

news from the UK

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:51:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>
Date: August 10, 2006 8:46:23 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: news from the UK

Hi Dave:

News reports this morning of a terrorist plan to blow up international
flights from the UK.  Initial reports suggest the plan was to blow up
a number of planes (sobering if it proves true).

One feature, if you read the articles, that might be of interest to IP.
In the UK, they've banned people from taking electronic equipment on
planes: that means laptop computers, mobile phones, and iPods among
other items.  See for instance:

    www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-US-Terror-Plot-Glance.html

I have no idea what the security basis is for this decision.  But
pragmatically, if this rule continues, it presumably will case some
serious dislocations for business travelers.  (Given what I've heard
about theft problems, I'm not likely to put my laptop in checked
luggage -- even assuming I had a suitably armored case in which to
do it).

Craig