Interesting People mailing list archives

tracking old money

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:41:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Arthur Evans Jr <EvansSL21 () earthlink net>
Date: August 8, 2006 5:56:51 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: tracking old money

Dave: For IP if you want.

My wife is beneficiary of a trust administered by a reputable bank in New York. Today someone from the bank called seeking information that (she said) was required by the Patriot Act. Well...

Where, I was asked, did the money in the trust come from?

As the bank knows, I said, the trust was established by my wife's mother, Mrs G.

Where did Mrs G get that money? I explained that she inherited it from her mother, Mrs B.

Where did Mrs B get money? From her husband, who pre-deceased her.

Where did Mr B get the money? I said I thought he was a stock broker but wasn't sure. Should I ask my wife? No, that's good enough information, thanks very much. And my caller went away, satisfied.

I can understand that the government could be interested if someone now shows up with a large sum of money. Did that money come from some sort of illegal enterprise. However, Mr B. my wife's grandfather, died in 1953, 53 years ago. Of what possible use could it be to the government to know how he made his money, particularly if (apparently) it's not important if I answered correctly?

Moreover, how much taxpayer money is spent gathering such information?

Sigh...

(BTW -- I obtained enough information from the caller to satisfy myself that she was in fact calling from the bank in question.)

Art Evans / retired
Arthur Evans Jr             412-963-0839
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
EvansSL21 () earthlink net