Interesting People mailing list archives

Welcome to the Land of Arbitrary Security

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:43:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgb () kgb com>
Date: August 7, 2006 10:24:36 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Welcome to the Land of Arbitrary Security

From an Australian friend who recently toured the US:

"I had several cases of intimidation by 'security' in Washington, DC which resounded with some of your comments when we chatted in Pittsburgh. It was
obvious to me that the more aggressive and visible form of dealing with
situations was used rather than, say, simple signage saying, eg 'No
photographs here.' I asked a security guard why there was no warning signs if that was the rule (actually in a railway station). He said, "That's what we are for." I beg to differ... he was there to intimidate innocent folk and to bully <lol>. Interesting I crawled all over the Capitol with a camera but had a long distance shot of the Pentagon wiped under threat of Guantanamo. I
dared to suggest that if I booked into the Meridian Hotel metres away I
could get as many photos that I wanted. 'Yup. But that's not my patch.'"

No wonder the rest of the world thinks we're insane.

Regards,

KGB

-----
Kevin G. Barkes