Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Spectrum Gold Rush

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:26:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Innes <innesj () watinc net>
Date: August 31, 2006 11:13:50 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Spectrum Gold Rush

Dave, in general I have a real problem with any application of Moore's Law to technologies whose economic, development, production, and operations are
not essentially very similar to microprocessors.  In most cases, the
applications might make good copy or seminar banter, but when analyzed
closely relative to the technology in question, oftentimes they simply can't stand on their own two feet. Based upon this bias, I have to question one
of Dana's primary points:

"But the ability to supply that demand is
Increasing geometrically. The cost of providing that service, in the
form of Internet bits, is being driven down toward zero."

Perhaps one could make this argument relative to fixed wireless internet
access services based upon the ultimate conceptualization of it as a low
margin ubiquitous public utility type service. But for most mobile
requirements, including all of those requiring close to seamless coverage,
clean hand-offs at typical automotive speeds, reasonable in-building
coverage with small handhelds and decent battery life, all based upon robust quality of service and system availability level, you can quickly dispense
with any glib Moore's Law analogies. For all of this, you need a lot of
expensive hardware that can deal w/ relatively high power RF power levels that need relative large dimensions and capacities of transmission hardware
that is appropriate for the frequency band in use.

From what my clients (primarily the "Big Four" wireless carriers) and I see for the foreseeable future, meeting these requirements will still involve many, many thousands of cell sites at $150-600k capex each, with expensive field maintenance operations infrastructures, monthly recurring costs for backhaul to large hardened switch sites and antenna site rentals, and radio
base stations with backup power and HVAC, high performance antennas, and
thick, heavy low loss RF transmission lines to make it all play.

IMHO these last few items alone would seem to be highly resistant to any
Moore's Law effects on their costs of manufacturing, deployment, and
operations.

Best,

Jim Innes
Wireless Access Technologies, Inc.