Interesting People mailing list archives

Sony's mylo in a previous incarnation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:10:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Onosko <onosko () gmail com>
Date: August 21, 2006 1:23:57 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Sony's mylo in a previous incarnation

Dave Farber:

A little more background about mylo, or I should say MYLO (the previous all-caps version.) It seems that, in 2001, at PC Expo in NYC, Sony announced a mobile Internet service called MYLO, for "my life online," which is what Sony says the current name also stands for. It was, at that time, intended for their Clie (Palm-powered) handhelds and VAIO notebooks, but Sony never delivered. I guess when this new device came alone, the idea got pulled from someone's old files and the thing got an instant name.

My friend Marge Costello (http://www.ceonlinenews.com/) was sharp enough to dig this out of a pile of old Sony press releases.

A few excerpts:

"SONY AND GOAMERICA ANNOUNCE MYLO WIRELESS SERVICE FOR CLIÉ HANDHELD AND VAIO NOTEBOOK PCs GoAmerica Unveils Wireless Modem Adapter That Fits into the Lifestyle and Hands of Consumers at Work and Play

"NEW YORK (PC EXPO, Booth #2622), June 25, 2001 - Because so much of life happens beyond the nine-to-five workday, Sony and GoAmerica today announced the MYLO wireless service, allowing CLIÉ monochrome handheld and VAIO notebook PC users unprecedented access to one wireless Internet service for all aspects of their life: work and play.

"MYLO stands for `My Life Online;' Sony's vision to offer mobile users an original and personalized way to access information and entertainment content for work and play," said Cynthia Rennolds, director of IT network services at Sony Electronics"