Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ] Spectrum Gold Rush

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:45:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Josephson <dlj04 () josephson com>
Date: August 20, 2006 11:30:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Spectrum Gold Rush

Dave, for IP if you like. The policy of spectrum auctions is seriously flawed, indeed, and has more public policy nightmares in it than you might imagine. It has been tried here and in the UK and in both countries has resulted in the bankruptcies of many of the bidders, and their suppliers. Whole chunks of the spectrum are tied up, largely unused, because the prices paid were unreasonable. The tale of the 39 GHz band should be instructive for people looking into this. All of the source documents are available at wireless.fcc.gov/ auctions/30 ...

29 bidders won 2,173 licenses in May of 2000 for over $4 billion. 2 GHz of spectrum, from 38 to 40 GHz, were sold off in regional licenses 50 to 200 MHz wide. The major bidders such as Winstar, Advanced Radio Telecom and Adelphia hoped to establish high speed connectivity to the premise (Winstar called itself Winstar Wireless Fiber). The business premise was that there was such pent-up demand for connectivity that people would pay more than fiber prices for short microwave hops. Such high frequencies are ideal for hops of 3 miles and less, and narrow beams are possible with small antennas. But did no one notice that the densely populated areas where this would be practical already had a glut of dark fiber, providing far more bandwidth, far more reliably, than could even be imagined over radio at the time?

Tens of thousands of radios were built by companies like P-Com, Stratex, California Microwave and others. Prices were in the usual range of commercial microwave equipment of the time -- $30,000 - 60,000 for a 2-mile link of 45 Mbps capacity. Winstar planned a huge buildout, and "lit up" hundreds of buildings in cities. I'll skip the intermediate steps. Today none of the high bidders or major equipment vendors is healthy, and most are gone. You can buy this equipment on eBay, much of it still with Winstar inventory stickers, for 1-2% of the original price. The last I tried to make it work for a local client, the companies that had bought up the licenses from the failed original bidders were still asking $50 to $500 per channel, per month, just for the license. This is contrasted with the usual FCC license fee of $1580 per channel for a 10 year license for frequencies in nearby non-auction bands, which still have capacity nearly everywhere.

FCC is an easy target for scorn, but most of the blame does not lie there. Through successive administrations they have been tasked with an absurd mandate, that the "public interest, convenience and necessity" test of the original Communications Act of 1934 was best served by allowing the market to set the price for spectrum as if it were real estate, urban planning be damned. In one instance we have seen it work -- if you consider the development of the cellular telephone industry -- but only because the public could be sold on needing a phone in every pocket. That approach doesn't work in every case.

--
David Josephson

Begin forwarded message: