Interesting People mailing list archives

Will they go after Giant Food's "PeaPod" food delivery service?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:05:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Date: August 15, 2006 10:29:54 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Will they go after Giant Food's "PeaPod" food delivery service?

What about Star Wars Attack Pods? And what about the Florida company started three years before the iPod was introduced in 2001, that sells storage pods (so far as I can tell, a very common use for the word). Will tbhey go after ACM for its annual Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS)? Or the Pipeline Open Data Standard (PODS) group? Gimme a break. Or, perhaps I should say, Apple, give us our language back!

APPLE LAYS LEGAL CLAIM TO THE WORD "POD"
Apple has laid legal claim to the word "Pod," arguing that
other companies that use the word as part of their product
names risk infringing the trademark of its popular iPod
music player. The legal campaign, which in recent days has
drawn challenges to products with names such as Profit Pod
and TightPod, reflects a broader attempt by some of the most
successful consumer technology companies to prevent their
best-known product names slipping into common useage beyond
their control.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/859887f2-2be6-11db-a7e1-0000779e2340.html

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group