Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Sony's Mylo Delivers Wireless

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:12:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Onosko <onosko () gmail com>
Date: August 14, 2006 4:36:13 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Sony's Mylo Delivers Wireless

Dave Farber:  For IP, if you think this is of interest to the group.

I have been doing some poking around with regard to Sony's mylo product, which I think is clearly a break from their standard fare. I have come to find out more details.

First, the product was apparently developed in the United States, not Japan. It appears to have come from Sony's Palo Alto group, although another source told me that San Diego was involved. In any case, it was developed well outside Sony's usual product development environment and on its own timetable.

Second, most other divisions in Sony, even those developing Internet and digital media solutions, were completely unaware of its development until the product announcement last week. Several divisions with similar interests and ideas were caught flatfooted by the announcement.

Third, there is some evidence that the mylo was developed with Apple Computer squarely in its sights. It was announced during Apple's developer conference in San Francisco. It comes, like the iPod and MacBooks, in either black or white. And, as noted, was developed in secrecy and will be delivered (if Sony is to be believed) almost immediately. In contrast, we are still waiting for Sony's e-book, the Reader, which was announced in January, promised for April, now delayed until autumn.

And, finally, mylo represents a distinct tectonic shift inside of Sony, an embrace of open standards and alliances with Yahoo!, Google and Skype -- unheard of for a company with its not-invented-here attitude toward such things. A bold move on the company's part, especially since there is no downstream revenue opportunity for Sony, although it will play DRM'd music and, presumably, DRM'd movies in the future.

But has Sony gone too far with this? If mylo is a success (and I think it will be), how long will it take for the Chinese consumer electronics manufacturers to produce a $99 knockoff? Months, I'd imagine.

This is going to be a very interesting product to watch.

- Tim Onosko