Interesting People mailing list archives

Update [Re: AOL blocking Gmail]

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 04:55:19 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Hutzler [mailto:cdhutzler () aol com]
Sent: Tue 4/25/2006 7:02 AM
To: ip () v2 listbox com; David Farber
Subject: Update [Re: [IP] AOL blocking Gmail]

As promised, an update.

Late last night around 11pm, we added into our whitelist a number of
Gmail IP addresses for their outbound systems. Evidently gmail had sent
us an email asking for more servers to be added to our whitelist for
protection but had done so at 4:45pm yesterday. The request had not yet
been processed. I esclaated internally and they got it done. So all is
well now.

So now we will have to see if gmail's outbound spam problem is high on
their list to fix or whether they are more interested in adding capacity
to accommodate the increase in outbound spam,  umm mail ;-)

Oh, and one other thing, all their spam is domainkeys signed. This
emergency whitelisting combined with the fact that all their spam is
signed is a little ironic if you have been following the dearaol.com
debate. ;-)

-Carl

--
Carl Hutzler
Director, Host Mail Development

--- Begin Message --- From: "Carl Hutzler" <cdhutzler () aol com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:04:50 -0700

I informed our AntiSpam/Postmaster operations team of the possible rate
limits/delays to gmail mail inbound to AOL.

I don't think this is a "clash of the titans". This kind of stuff
happens all the time and is usually resolved quickly by the
organizations involved. We have had spam problems over the years with
much larger titans than gmail and all have been resolved quickly.

And to be honest, AOL has not been perfect at all times either as we
have occasionally had an outbound spam problem to other ISPs. Every ISP
has the responsibility to police their own users to the best of their
ability. And when issues arise, responsible ISPs communicate on the
issue and do everything possible to restore legitimate email delivery as
soon as possible.

I will try and update the list as soon as I have further information if
that is acceptable. (this is my first post, so I hope folks appreciate
the email and I hope I have not broken any protocol)

PS: I think gmail may have an issue of late as the only two spams I have
received in my AOL account in the last week+ have been from gmail mail
servers. Headers below (all 419 scams - one in english and the other in
spanish)

-Carl

--
Carl Hutzler
Director, Host Mail Development
America Online
cdhutzler () aol com
703.265.5521 work
703.915.6862 cell

        s=beta; d=gmail.com;
        h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type;

b=LejfxPes4IKizTLpNmTUHlwwFPEacQoi1oXo8YmooH3SrppgEt3UzcAJ2NVyxPqITKqa8n4YEeIFgeqkl9rTC1v0r4++KZRsVrbJL8A8KMcZrvrJOh59Z7KU4oc11F0fPGfcrpRbojhb06nFJet83Qf/PrDCCfjN5W2bAnd3w4o=