Interesting People mailing list archives

more on In Silicon Valley, a Man Without a Patent

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:26:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: April 16, 2006 2:34:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: bobf () frankston com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on In Silicon Valley, a Man Without a Patent

At 05:44 AM 4/16/2006, Bob Frankston wrote:

If Dan and I had patented VisiCalc what would we have prevented?

They would have prevented Bill Gates from gaining obscene riches
from their innovations while they were far too poorly rewarded.
(It was ironic to see Bob, some years later, working for Microsoft
and making a pittance relative to Gates when in fact he was a
great innovator and Bill was not.)

In my humble opinion, Dan and Bob should have patented Visicalc
and hould have reaped the benefits from having done so. They would
not have deterred innovation in any way.

--Brett Glass