Interesting People mailing list archives

Why Santorum Does It

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:04:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Adams <jadams01 () sprynet com>
Date: September 6, 2005 8:19:38 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP: Why Santorum Does It

Dave,

Here's a link to a piece in today's TPMCafe: http://www.tpmcafe.com/ story/2005/9/6/131152/4952

It goes a long way to explain not only why Santorum says these horrid things, but also why we hear all the horror stories. It begins, "I was one of the volunteers who helped greet the busloads of evacuees at the Astrodome."

It goes on to say: "When someone [on television] would suggest that these people stayed behind by choice, that they were in some way deserving of what they had undergone, my heart pounds. I have not cried since I was ten, but my eyes start to tear. I have been frustrated by the news before, but this was something different, a kind of rage and frustration that can’t be contained...

And here's the heart--and I do mean heart--of it:

"Always these stories have a specific purpose: to shut down empathy so that we won't demand action or accountability. They are told because we are a charitable nation, and if these people aren't rapists and murders and looters, then what they are is suffering, and suffering would demand attention that wasn't given. The fact that it wasn't given would demand that someone be taken to task..."

Thanks,

      John A
      see me fulminate at http://www.jzip.org/