Interesting People mailing list archives

Washington Monthly on photo op in NO

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:58:55 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Steven M. Bellovin"<smb () cs columbia edu>
Sent: 05/09/05 10:55:48 AM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Cc: "Ip Ip"<ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Washington Monthly on photo op in NO

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the recovery work seen on
Bush's visit was staged for the cameras.  But I don't think that's the
real point.  My gripe is why any politicians at all are there.

*Any* visit by a political leader to the scene of a disaster is
disruptive.  Resources that might go towards recovery are diverted to
handling visiting VIPs -- fuel, space, transportation slots, and (most
importantly) the time of the people who are actually doing the work.
Rubbernecking at traffic accidents causes congestion and sometimes more
accidents; this is done for crass political motives.  (There's an
article in today's NY Times on how the current visits are part of a
deliberate White House strategy orchestrated by Karl Rove -- don't
respond to attacks from Democrats, blame (Democratic) state and local
officials, and sends lots of administration bigwigs to New Orleans.  See
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/05/national/nationalspecial/05bush.html
for details.)

Yes, in any such situation there is a need for leadership.  I'd rather
this were done by our leaders staying home making speeches, and
stressing how they prefer not to get in the way of the people who are
doing the real work.

[Message truncated. Tap Edit->Mark for Download to get remaining portion.]