Interesting People mailing list archives

more on upon suspicion .. Verizon to Police Web Customers To Protect Disney From Piracy -- a response from Dan Bricklin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:56:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: September 25, 2005 8:19:08 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] upon suspicion .. Verizon to Police Web Customers To Protect Disney From Piracy -- a response from Dan Bricklin

Dave, If you want to use this remove my name please - I'm feeling a bit conspicuous.

Aside from all the other worms in this can, and it looks like a very large and crowded can, how on earth can this be enforced without blowing up in Disney or Verizon's face ?

A thought experiment  if you will.

Say I put up the following password protected zip files on my verizon "Personal Web space of 10 MB" as advertised at http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/tx/ technology/fios_fact.html

appropriated-disney/little-mermaid.zip
appropriated-disney/sleeping-beauty.zip
appropriated-disney/beauty-and-the-beast.zip
appropriated-disney/3-pigs.zip
appropriated-disney/Hunchback-of-Notre-Dame.zip
appropriated-disney/Pinocchio.zip
appropriated-disney/Cinderella.zip
appropriated-disney/Snow-White-and-the-Seven-Dwarfs.zip
appropriated-disney/20000-Leagues-Under-The-Sea.zip
appropriated-disney/Aladdin.zip
appropriated-disney/Rapunzel.zip
appropriated-disney/Swiss-Family-Robinson.zip
appropriated-disney/Treasure-Island.zip

So now some questions

What are Verizon  or Disney going to do?
Is there any reason to serve subpoenas or terminate service?
If they do so inappropriately, can I sue Verizon  or Disney?

If Verizon or Disney open the files to see what they are, which turns out to be the public domain text and my copyrighted commentary about how Disney appropriated these public domain works for the Disney films, can I sue under the DMCA?
Would someone at Verizon  or Disney go to jail like Dmitry Sklyarov did?

If someone with a Verizon web page distributes my copyrighted photograph without my permission can I sue Verizon? If someone with a Verizon email account quotes my email in her email without my permission can I sue Verizon?
Is there anyone at Verizon who is smarter than a sack of wet hammers?
Can Verizon's stockholders sue on the basis of verizon voluntarily giving up their common carrier status and opening themselves up to untold liability?

Begin forwarded message: