Interesting People mailing list archives

more on European Commission: data retention voice: 1 year and Internet 6 months

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:50:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: September 22, 2005 12:27:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] European Commission: data retention voice: 1 year and Internet 6 months

From: Hendrik Rood <Hendrik.Rood () Stratix nl>
Date: September 22, 2005 9:24:53 AM EDT

http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/ 05/1167&form%20at=HTML

"This proposal is a very balanced and constructive one, which takes account of the fundamental rights to security, to a private life and protection of personal data, as well as different interests, in particular those of law enforcement authorities and communication providers", said Vice President of the Commission Franco Frattini, responsible for Justice, Freedom and Security.

I find this development fascinating. When I lived in France I was initially annoyed that I could not get an itemised telephone bill although I was ultimately able to pay extra to get all but the last four digits. The explanation I was given (independently by several technically-savvy people, not by France Telecom) was that the phone company was _forbidden_ from storing this info once the connection was made and billing record generated because such info had been misused in the '30s and '40s for, umm, political ends.

Interesting if this concern is now being casually swept away.

-d