Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Hacked Speedpass, Hotel mag cards

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:29:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Gray <tom_gray_grc () yahoo com>
Date: September 22, 2005 9:22:37 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Hacked Speedpass, Hotel mag cards

For IP, if you wish

One thing that a;ways puzzles me when similar issues
are brought up is that it is easy to perform a creidt
card fraud without any technological assistance.

I found transactions on my credit card bill for a web
porn site. I complained to the credit card company.
They obtained the 'authorization' slip from the porn
company. They claimed that they obtained the card
number from a call and that the name provided was 'A
Guy'. When I mentioned to the credit card company
agent that this was an obvious fraud, she was shocked.

There is a common fraud in which unethical companies
will generate possible credit card numbers that pass
the simple validity checks performed by the banks.
They then attempt to bill these numbers until they
find hits. They then charge small amounts ($25 or so)
to the cards in hope that the charges will not be
noticed. In my case, Charges cen then be made at
intervals. I noted the charges immediately and
complaimed but there had already been another charge
for a porn service.

So I find all this concern about the hacking of RFIDs
and credit card stripes rather puzzling. Why go to the
bother whrn the credit card system is so open for
abuse.

Tom Gray

Begin forwarded message: