Interesting People mailing list archives

Do we take the internet seriously? [unfotunately many do not in DC djf)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:44:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Date: September 18, 2005 3:51:23 PM EDT
To: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Subject: Do we take the internet seriously?

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

Jock

Jock Gill
The Power of Wireless
Cooperative gain from collective behaviors at the edges
(781) 396-0492

A new post on the Greater Democracy blog:

<http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/000410.html>

Do We Take the Internet Seriously?

Thomas Friedman asked a key question in his recent NY Times op-ed: Eating Our Lunch.

Being a tiny city-state of four million, Singapore is obsessed with nurturing every ounce of talent of every single citizen. That is why, although its fourth and eighth graders already score at the top of the Timss international math and science tests, Singapore has been introducing more innovations into schools. Its government understands that in a flattening world, where more and more jobs can go anywhere, it's not enough to just stay ahead of its neighbors. It has to stay ahead of everyone - including us.

Message to America: They are not racing us to the bottom. They are racing us to the top.

Friedman goes on to write that Singapore takes the internet seriously, and by implication asks if we do too.

Friedman, however, left off a very important question: Is the internet for corporations or the people? Is it a force for fossilization or a force for enabling the future?

To put it another way: is the internet about the government working as the hand maiden of the Hollywood cartel in a vain attempt to stop evolution and lock us in the past, or is it about the government working with the people to catalyze innovation and new economic opportunities for our future?

Continued at <http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/000410.html>