Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Katrina and the folly of trusting cell phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 06:20:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () dandin com>
Date: September 1, 2005 1:02:38 PM EDT
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Cc: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, dave () farber net, "'David P. Reed'" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Katrina and the folly of trusting cell phones

On Sep 1, 2005, at 9:44 AM, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

As I keep pointing out we need are simple packet radios that automatically
configure into a mesh and connect via whatever transport including
satellite links. If they are packaged properly and can use various sources of power ranging from batteries to solar to "whatever" then they can be
deployed from the air.

There is certainly merit in such concepts.  However, my "complexity
alarm" starts to trigger when I think about the actual deployment
and use of such systems in real-world situations.  The farther we
get from KISS ("Keep It Simple Stupid") engineering principles in
emergency systems, the greater the concern.  I'm not convinced that
the "simple packet radios" such as you describe wouldn't turn out to
be anything but simple by the time they were actually designed
and deployed.

I beg to differ with you on this. The amateur radio service (aka hams) have been using such systems since the late 80s to provide digital communications during emergencies. They are 'battle tested'. They are being used right now in the Katrina Recovery efforts. To keep track of amateur radio efforts to support this emergency, checkout the ARRL's site <http://www.arrl.org>.

-- Dewayne