Interesting People mailing list archives

Google/Wikipedia

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:19:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dr. James J. O'Donnell" <provost () georgetown edu>
Date: September 8, 2005 9:42:44 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Google/Wikipedia

Dave, query for IP:  has there been anything said publicly about Google
intentionally directing queries to Wikipedia?  This is purely subjective
and anecdotal, but for about the last two months, I have found myself very
frequently facing a google screen on which one of the first half dozen
hits was a Wikipedia article on my term of interest, and I have in fact
been using those articles, with more success than I expected.  This
doesn't feel like an accident . . .

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown U.