Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Any ideas of what ELN is up to

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:25:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joyce <jmmurphy () mindspring com>
Date: September 8, 2005 3:53:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Any ideas of what ELN is up to

http://www.inspice.com/aprod-code/doc/temp-earthlink.htm

If you are an Earthlink or Earthlink Virus Blocker user and received a virus warning or spam notification instead of Inspice confirmation email, the following message applies to you.

Dear Earthlink Users:

Thank you for using Inspice. We do understand your concern. In fact, you are not the only Earthlink user who experienced the problem. First of all, you do not need to worry about the virus warning on Inspice emails. Let us explain what happened and how to solve it.

We are serving nearly a million users every month. Many of our users come from organizations where security is extremely high or the highest in the nation such as Microsoft, Intel, IBM, Federal Aviation Administration, Department of Justice, US Army, US Navy, NASA, Boeing, and so on. None of our users ever received a virus from us. We assure that all our emails are virus free!

The Earthlink Virus Blocker has mistakenly been saying Inspice automated emails are infected with viruses. (Also the Earthlink Spam Blocker has been saying Inspice automated emails are spams.) Why does the Earthlink Virus Blocker say it is infected with a virus? Are Inspice emails really infected with any virus?

The Earthlink email system has often been responding with false positive on Inspice automated email messages. It has been over years. We are not responsible for the false positive.

In fact, we submitted our email samples to Earthlink tech team for thorough examination. We also gave them unlimited access to our emails for their in-depth investigation. The earthlink tech team found no virus at all in our emails! No spam messages were ever found at all in our emails! Someday, Earthlink would fix the false alarm problem.

If you read The Earthlink Virus Blocker's message carefully, it will see detected virus name as " Malformed container violation ". The truth is. There is no such virus named "Malformed container violation".

Plain text formatted emails without any attachment can not be infected with viruses. All (automated) Inspice emails plain text formatted and have absolutely no attachment. In other words, it is not tecnologically possible that Inspice emails can be infected.

There is nothing for you to worry about our emails. All Inspice automated emails are certified virus free by using one of the strictest security measures in the industry.

If our emails were infected with viruses, we wouldn't be able to daily serve our users from major corporations, universities, government departments, and also a major antivirus company. However, none of our users ever experienced such problem except Earthlink Virus Blocker users.

If you're, however, still concerned with this matter, you're encouraged to contact antivirus companies to analyze our emails and obtain an unbiased result. In fact, some of Earthlink users followed our advise and contacted antivirus companies and even a security consulting firm. Thorough examination confirmed that all our emails were free from viruses.

Please contact us if there is any other concern.

Regards,

Inspice Support

P.S. Luckily, there is a way to go around this problem right now. Simply use another email address than earthlink email.

You can use your work, school, or even hotmail address on our web site instead of Earthlink email, then you would not see this kind of problem (unless their email filter is also incorrectly configured like Earthlink).

Please note that you do not have to change your Internet service provider. Just change your email address on Inspice web site, which you used as your Inspice user ID.

If you need an instruction on how to change your email on our web site, please see the FAQ.

This is the best advice we can provide to you as we do not have a control over the Earthlink Virus Blocker. But it is an easy and effective solution.

© 2000-05 Inspice