Interesting People mailing list archives

more on An author's dissent on Google Print

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:49:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 30, 2005 4:06:31 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on An author's dissent on Google Print

It's worth pointing out that the tactic of attacking Google by trying to extend the law of copyright to include the act of making a copy in order to creating an index is quite similar to many other tactics we see every day.

Manipulating the courts and Congress by misguided analogies and metaphors is rampant.

Each author gets a bundle of rights when a work is fixed. That bundle of rights is tradeable. That's why they are called property rights - they can be traded and licensed. Occasionally, new rights are created as part of the bundle. For example, the concept of a "performance right" was created for some copyrighted subject matter - not because a performance is a *copy*, but because the Congress thought that it ought to reward the creators of scripts for acts that didn't per se amount to creating a copy of the script.

New technologies certainly give the opportunity to create new rights. The "right not to appear in an index" would almost certainly be a new right. Such a right would allow authors to control whether they could be kept in a card catalog, or assigned a place in the Dewey Decimal system, or be given an ISBN.

Should such a right be created? Does Google's commercial success warrant such a protection? It may be that the world as we know it will fall apart if Google becomes the dominant content-based index of the Web and printed matter of all kinds.

Is there really a sensible difference between indexing by a profit- making entity and indexing by a non-profit that pays salaries to the same number of employees? Monopolies are not illegal in this country. They are merely barred from certain strategic actions that non-monopolies are allowed to engage in. Is making an index in the scope of the behaviors that a monopoly is not allowed to engage in, should Google be determined to be a dominant monopoly in its market?

Note that if the Authors' Guild starts behaving like a monopoly on authorship, it is barred from certain acts as well. Similarly with publishers.

There is very little that is crystal clear here in the legal front, except to demagogues and the self-interested. What seems clear to me, though, is that indexing is not copying, and in addition, it is quite reasonable for Google to construct an index without ever fixing a copy of *any* work in its memory store.

On the technical front, the notion that Google is copying in the sense that copyright means is hardly obvious, either. If Google provides a facility for reconstructing a quote on demand, it is hardly clear that a facility for reconstructing a quote on demand is itself a copy. I can quote the Lord's Prayer on demand, but I don't believe that the contents of my brain contains a copy of that prayer in any legal sense (wouldn't it be fun if we could use the copyright law to block testimony about any person's utterances in public because they "have been illegally copied into someone's brain"). Similarly, the transmission of a fax makes a copy, but the vibrations of the electromagnetic field on an oscilloscope monitoring the transmission for line quality is NOT a copy, nor does it depend on "fair use". It's just outside the copyright law entirely, as is the mechanism for indexing.

It seems to me that the creation of a *new* right, one that has never been needed before, ought to be carefully considered by Congress and the American people. And that's why it's worth having this debate with all interested parties, not just the self-interested authors and publishers, who never met a new right they didn't need, and never saw a rights term-extension that wasn't essential for stopping impending economic doom for the entire US economy. :-)

Let's be honest - maybe we do need a new right. But let it be for a compelling reason! Not just because K-street sees another opportunity to exploit its access to the corridors of power and get paid a few million bucks.

Playing verbal games with analogies, metaphors, and clever, but ultimately false and spurious satirical arguments seems silly. The reason "Anonymous" wrote the satire I passed on, and that Dave was so kind to have included in his column was to illuminate the ridiculous and inane properties of such analogies and metaphors, especially when carried out by people who should know better. Anonymous writers of satire can only provoke people to think more critically about their own positions, since they cannot be taken seriously on the face of their writing, whose very provenance is disavowed.