Interesting People mailing list archives

Google Print

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:05:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Ryan <john () joeinc tv>
Date: October 25, 2005 1:45:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, lauren () vortex org
Cc: brewster () archive org
Subject: RE: [IP] Digest 1.820 for ip

I was very pleased to see LW's cogent arguments (whose note to IP follows my signature). It is clear that, within some (hopefully small) number of years many texts in many languages will be available to all who have access to the
Internet. A far, far better situation in abstract than we have ever had.

I have been struck that Google's arguments - particularly as Eric Schmidt argued in the WSJ recently - can be reduced in utmost to 'yes, it's illegal, but that's because the law is an ass. Trust us, it'll be good for you.' I'm
not at all convinced about the latter.

Let us take two thought experiments:

In the first experiment, we look at the Internet Archive. Here, Brewster
(copied on this note) is hosting both actual out-of-copyright media and,
with more difficulty, orphan media (still in copyright, but where the
copyrights appear to belong to non-existent entities - examples include
publishing companies that are out of business or deceased and perhaps
intestate authors). If we, now, read through Google's press releases and
replace the word Google with the words Internet Archive, and 'all books'
with the restricted set Brewster is (currently) archiving ... we'd have had
much less of a tempest, perhaps none at all (except, perhaps, from some
shareholders wondering why Google was messing around in old book shops).
This thought experiment perhaps indicates that current texts, and current
copyrights and their attendant revenues are the nexus of the issue.

For our second thought experiment, let us go back through the press releases and replace Google with, o, Microsoft (or, if one prefers: the US Federal Government). And for books, let us replace, say, all print media, or perhaps music. We end up with Microsoft/the US Gov't saying we intend to copy all media, put on our site, we (MSFT/Gov't) get the revenue associated with the critical mass of traffic, but trust us, we'll all be better off. This, is striking in its absurdity, not just because Microsoft has in recent years
won our collective mistrust, but because also if (as just one example)
MSN.com becomes the default location for Mother Jones magazine or the late, great New York Times, or Charles Dickens' or Tom Clancy's collected works ... then it is MSFT that is getting the vast streams of advertising money,
not Ma Jones, or the NYT or various publishers of Dickens or Tom Clancy.
Nothing Google has said trumps publishers' and authors' financial interest in their own media and their own works. Nor, particularly, is the issue of lengthy copyright terms the most germane in this context. If Mother Jones,
or novelist Tom Clancy and his publishers, or anyone else invests in
developing a work and a medium, Google should have no claim that it is
acting in a public interest by republishing it, absent an explicit agreement
representing all rights.

John Ryan