Interesting People mailing list archives

more on I AGREE djf more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Termination Fees Hurt Consumers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:29:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: October 11, 2005 9:28:27 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] I AGREE djf more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Termination Fees Hurt Consumers

OK, this has been a learning experience;-). Thanks to the the many informed IPers who responded. Here's what I've found out (and another question):

1- The only carrier that offers a month-to-month service for "bring your own phone" is Sprint, as several IPers have mentioned. None of the others do. But in case you didn't notice, Sprint is probably the weakest of the cellphone companies (even with their merger), so it would appear that offering a month-to-month with "bring your own phone" is simply not very important to customers. Maybe to IPers, but most of those who reported this dastardly practice do not seem to have switched to Sprint. In other words, while you and I may want the option of month-to-month, it is not important enough to most customers to be a competitive advantage. Too bad.

2- It's pretty obvious a multi-year contract is in the interest of the phone company. For example, magazines make much more $$ from yearly subscriptions than newstand sales. And if customers don't think it's important enough to choose a carrier based on month-to- month, it will not happen.

3- Some IPers mentioned foreign phones brought to the US and operated on month-to-month, but noted they were much more expensive. Of course, that was my original point: month-to-month will be more expensive.

4- I was surprised almost no one discussed pre-paid cell service, which of course involves no commitment at all, beyond the initial minutes purchased. This has been a successful business model; e.g., Virgin Mobile only does pre-paid. This is a very different model, in that there is no credit risk for the firms to bear.

I would think that IPers who object so strongly to multi-year contracts would opt for pre-paid...or move to Sprint. I'd be interested to learn from our correspondents why they do not avail themselves of these options.

Prof. Gerry Faulhaber

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>