Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NRA and MPAA/RIAA legal hypocrisy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:41:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Date: October 20, 2005 5:28:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] NRA and MPAA/RIAA legal hypocrisy

At 04:07 PM 10/20/2005 -0400, Richard Forno wrote:

Subject: NRA and MPAA/RIAA legal hypocrisy

Let me see if I understand this correctly --- software makers can be
sued
and taken to the cleaners by "victims" of crime (eg, MPAA/RIAA), yet gun
makers would be protected when their products are used in the
commission of
a crime.  Does anyone else notice the hypocrisy here?     -rick

No hypocrisy, just a misinterpretation of the state of affairs.  The
court decision holding software makers liable for copyright
infringement was *only if* the software makers encouraged such
use, or if the software had no other purpose.  I feel sure that if
gun makers encouraged buyers to commit crimes that even under
the new law, they would be held responsible.  In other words,
aiding and abetting can make one responsible.

Bob McClure