Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Summerized -- Mossberg: Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:09:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: TClaburn () cmp com
Date: October 20, 2005 11:10:25 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Summerized -- Mossberg: Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

I agree wholeheartedly with Walter Mossberg, though I believe he misses the mark
on this point:

"I believe Congress should rewrite the copyright laws to carve out a broad exemption for personal, noncommercial use by consumers, including sharing small
numbers of copies among families."

While it would be helpful to have fair use codified, consumers already have these rights in theory. But they cannot exercise them because of technical
protection methods/digital rights management.

If the law is to be of assistance here, it needs to limit DRM. And that's not likely to happen until Congress revisits the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which prohibits the circumvention of DRM technology. As Lawrence Lessig has
suggested, code is law.

Thomas Claburn
InformationWeek
http://www.lot49.com