Interesting People mailing list archives

Is there any right to privacy?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:46:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kobrin, Steve" <kobrins () wharton upenn edu>
Date: October 16, 2005 5:13:32 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Is there any right to privacy?

I just took a cab from the SF airport into the city and noticed a sticker that said something to the effect that the cab was equipped with a camera and pictures would be taken of every passenger. Sure enough there was a large camera port staring at me from the top of the dashboard.

What right does a taxi company have to take my picture as a condition of transport? Whose business is it other than mine that I choose to take a taxi at any point in time? Any argument that pictures of taxi passengers could be valuable in solving a crime or terrorist attack is true but trivial. So would embedded RFD tags in all of us or a complete map of surveillance cameras in every city. At some point, the invasion of privacy has to be justified in terms of potential results.

Furthermore, as I suspect that not every passenger in a taxi would like who they are riding with or where they are going – to say nothing of what they may be doing in the back seat -- to be public knowledge, the potential for misuse of this information is very real.

Steve