Interesting People mailing list archives

Hypocrisy in Analog TV Cutoff Debate

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:07:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Douglas J. De Clue" <ddeclue () bellsouth net>
Date: October 16, 2005 2:34:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: FW: [bushlied] [IP] Hypocrisy in Analog TV Cutoff Debate

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas J. De Clue [mailto:ddeclue () bellsouth net]
Sent: Sun, October 16, 2005 2:18 PM
To: 'bushlied () yahoogroups com'; 'dallasdemocrats () egroups com'; 'USDemocrat () yahoogroups com'; 'TheFalloutShelter () yahoogroups com'; 'DiehardDems () yahoogroups com'; 'AB_Progressives () yahoogroups com'; 'Do_Something_America () yahoogroups com'; 'HomeOfTheBrave () yahoogroups com'; 'lauren () pfir org'; 'lauren () vortex com'; 'lauren () eepi org'; 'floridaforkerry () yahoo com'

Dave, Lauren, et.al:

I received this message via one of several liberal yahoogroups I belong to regarding the planned conversion of television broadcasts in the United States from the NTSC analog broadcast (525 lines/60Hz interlace analog) that has been in effect since approximately the end of World War II until the present day to the new digital High Definition TV (HDTV) standard.

I have a different view of this issue than you on this issue and want to express my opinion to you and your audience.

First let me tell you that I am not some corporate hack working for HDTV.

I am an active Democrat who worked many many hours and donated substantially to both the John Kerry campaign and my local Democratic Party here in Orlando Florida and who has given to a variety of Democratic and liberal causes. I have also worked on a program here in Orlando to try to bring Air America Radio to the vast conservative wasteland that is Orlando talk radio as well.

Secondly let me tell that I am an engineer who has worked extensively in RF systems, particularly in the CATV (cable television) and cellular phone industry for companies like Scientific Atlanta and Motorola. I do not currently work in either CATV or cellular telephones so I don't really have an axe to grind other than to bring my technical expertise to this discussion.

Let me begin by saying that the original FCC target for complete conversion to HDTV in the United States was originally going to be this year, 2005. This has been pushed out nearly 5 years to allow the consumers and the broadcasters time to catch up.

I am sure that most consumers are aware at least of the existence of HDTV if they have ever been into a BestBuy or Circuit City in their lives. Most network programs display the HDTV logo these days as well so HDTV is not the total mystery to the public that you claim. Not as many people are aware that their old fashioned NTSC TV's are going to be obsolete in 2009 but I don't think that this is as unknown as you think. In any event, I'm sure in the next year or two, the major retailers will make sure that the public is highly aware of that fact as a way of selling new TV sets to the consumer.

In my opinion, the biggest issue for liberals (actually for everyone) should not be the changeover itself but rather the proper disposal and recycling of all of this obsolete analog equipment as much of it contains hazardous materials (particularly heavy metals) that need to be carefully disposed of or recycled rather than simply just dumping them in the local general purpose land fills to pollute local watersheds.

As the owner of 5 old NTSC analog TV sets (and one new HDTV tuner and an HDTV projector), I understand some of the sentiment behind your letter that HDTV will make existing television sets, VCR's and other equipment obsolete and will require the consumer to make a new investment in equipment - but then - change is hardly a new thing where high technology is concerned:

AM radios gave way to FM, tubes gave way to transistors and then integrated circuits and now FM is starting to be replaced by digital radio such as XM and Sirius radio.

Black and white TV's gave way to color TV's and now HDTV's.

Phonographs, eight tracks and reel to reel systems have been replaced by cassette and then CD in the 80's and now SACD in the 21st century.

VHS has been replaced by DVD and soon DVD will be replaced by "blue ray" DVD's.

Low volume citywide radiotelephone systems were replaced analog cell phones that have then been replaced by better and better digital cell phones.

The personal computer industry has gone from the stone age with Apple II's and TRS-80's through a whole series of x86 processor machines through Pentiums and is now starting to move beyond even the Pentium. Computer power has grown from 1 MHz 8 bit machines in the early 80's to the present day 2.4+ GHz 64 bit machines with nearly 20,000 times as much power as those early machines. And still they continue to evolve and improve.

And yet - there is no great outcry about these changes because each new generation offers improved technical performance over the last generation.

The cost of replacing this obsolete equipment might at first glance seem large but the cost of going to digital TV is not nearly what it once was.

Last year I purchased a combination satellite/terrestrial receiver made by Hughes with top of the line features including the ability to control my existing VCR that was capable of receiving DirecTV digital satellite broadcasts in both NTSC and HDTV formats, as well as receiving terrestrial and cable TV signals in both NTSC and HDTV formats for $299.00.

It should be possible by the time the changeover is complete for the average TV viewer to purchase an HDTV converter unit to view the HDTV programs on their existing NTSC sets for well under $100.00. It is doubtful that many persons will purchase such converters however given that the price of HDTVs also continues to fall and the average viewer ought to be able to purchase a decent HDTV set for less than $200.00 by 2009/2010.

Personally, I watch HDTV from my Hughes tuner on an $800, 7 pound Epson computer projector that I project on my living room wall to about 120" diagonal image. Last year that projector cost me $1000. By 2009, it may well be down to $200 for a similar or better device. I should add that this Hughes/Epson combination generates no x-rays (radiation), uses much less electricity, and has a much better picture than my old 31" 200 lb NTSC RCA glass tube TV that I bought back in 1995.

I feel that it should be pointed out that we have already gone through this exact same situation with the cell phone industry.

The original cell phones were also analog devices, known as AMPS phones. They were big, bulky and high powered affairs with big batteries. I had one of these phones in the mid 90's that weighed about 5 lbs and put out 1.2 to 3.0 Watts of power compared with my current CDMA digital phone that weighs only a few ounces and puts out 1/4th to 1/10th the power of my old phone.

The cell phone industry saw early the advantages of digital modulation and compression and moved quickly to digital systems such as TDMA, CDMA, and GSM which used less bandwidth, increased the total number of connections possible, and improved the quality through spread spectrum CDMA (in CDMA systems) and through digital error correction schemes such as FEC (forward error correction).

To my knowledge there was no great outcry about the changeover in the cellular industry and I am puzzled as to why there should be one regarding HDTV now. In fact the cellular spectrum auction under the Clinton administration was one of Clinton's better acts as President in terms of being fiscally responsible and making corporations pay their fair share of taxes.

HDTV offers a number of benefits to society beyond the obvious improvement in image resolution and signal quality it provides.

For one thing, it does offer the government a substantial new source of revenue through a spectrum auction such as was previously conducted for the cell phone industry in the late 90's. The broadcasting industry has made huge fortunes off of the implicit corporate subsidy at taxpayer expense provided by their free use of the "We the People's" airwaves for the last 50+ years in the case of television and for the last 80+ years in the case of radio.

For another, it offers the opportunity for increased competition to cable and satellite systems.

Digital off the air broadcasting means that local stations can offer multiple programs in digital format where they were only able to offer one program before. In my area that means that some of the channels offer news, weather forecasts and radar. Public broadcasting has been a leader in the digital switchover and offers much more variety than they used to do in the analog days and in particular offers much more governmental affairs programming allowing the voter at least the opportunity to know more about what is going on in state government.

With digital quality on off the air (terrestrial) broadcasting being every bit as good as it is from satellite and cable systems (which could never truly be said for over the air analog broadcasting with it's ghosting, and other interference isues) and with digital multicasting meaning that a wider variety of programming is possible, this makes it harder for cable and satellite operators to convince persons to buy their services and thus acts to keep prices down on CATV and satellite systems.

A wider variety of off the air programming being available means that it is possible for a wider diversity of opinions to be heard as well. This serves the public interest and blunts the efforts of the Rupert Murdochs and Time Warners of the world to try to control public opinion by controlling the media.

The use of digital modulation also means that it will be possible for the FCC to grant more local licenses in any particular area because of the reduced issues with what is called ACI or "adjacent channel interference". i.e. it will be easier to put more stations in the same area that are next to each other in frequency than it is today with analog broadcasting. It will also be easier because digital compression means you can fit more channels into the same bandwidth than you could with an old fashioned uncompressed analog system, much as happened with the cellular industry switch to digital allowing increased calling capacities.

Again with more channels and local licenses this means a decrease of the concentration of media in the hands of a few corporate moguls and an increase in the power of regular people to express themselves via television.

What is happening with HDTV will also ultimately happen to radio as well. XM and Sirius satellite radio are the vanguards of digital radio today much as DirecTV and Dish Network were to digital television in the mid to late 90's. Ultimately our existing AM and FM radio stations will also convert over to digital formats allowing us many more channels and much greater access to our media. It may even be that WiFi (802.11.x) internet access may become common place across the country with little routers on every lamp post in America so that we can both stream Air America Radio off the internet in our cars even as we are driving through the "red states" and talk via VOIP thereby offering new competition to today's cell phone systems.

Ultimately digital will help take radio and TV out of the hands of the Sean Hannitys and Rush Limbaughs and Bill O'Reillys of the world and offer a much more balanced and more diverse radio and TV world.

Democratically Yours,

Douglas J. De Clue
Orlando, FL