Interesting People mailing list archives

more on American dominance of the Internet, redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:39:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: October 15, 2005 6:32:54 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Fw: [IP] American dominance of the Internet, redux

Yeah, I agree with Karl, but I think this ICANN dispute is largely irrelevant to the US/UN/ITU governance issue. In fact, I think the ICANN screwups are pretty small potatoes compared to the damage that alternative governance mechanisms could wreak. Granted ICANN has done some pretty bonehead stuff, but there is far, far worse possible...and we'll find that out to our immense chagrin
if the UN/ITU crowd takes over.

What concerns me most about the governance issue is that nobody is actually
telling us how they will do the job better.  They are simply saying they
want their finger on the button, too, and the US is being arrogant, blah, blah, blah. But none of the putative Internet controllers are telling us
what is being done wrong today and how they would do it better.

Gerry Faulhaber