Interesting People mailing list archives

[I will be there USAir willing djf] 4:15PM * Wednesday, October 19, 2005 * We the Media: The Rise of Open-Source, Grassroots Journalism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:29:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: allison () stanford edu
Date: October 15, 2005 10:42:51 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [CSL Colloq] 4:15PM * Wednesday, October 19, 2005 * We the Media: The Rise of Open-Source, Grassroots Journalism

              COMPUTER SYSTEMS LABORATORY COLLOQUIUM
               4:15PM, Wednesday, October 19, 2005
       NEC Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B03
                   http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]

Topic:    We the Media: The Rise of Open-Source, Grassroots Journalism

Speaker:  Dan Gillmor
          www.dangillmor.com[2]

About the talk:

The collision of media and technology has created enormous
changes for all three major constituencies of journalism.
Journalism is shifting from a lecture to a conversation;
journalists must learn to listen and respond to an increasingly
well-connected audience. Newsmakers, the people and institutions
journalists cover, are the subject of new kinds of coverage, but
can use the same tools to have own conversations directly with
their own various constituencies. The (former) audience has
vastly greater flexibility in the journalism it chooses, and can
more easily become do journalism as well.

About the speaker:

Dan Gillmor is founder of Grassroots Media Inc., a project aimed
at enabling grassroots journalism and expanding its reach.
Gillmor is is author of "We the Media: Grassroots Journalism by
the People, for the People" (O'Reilly Media, 2004), a book that
explains the rise of citizens' media and why it matters. His blog
is at bayosphere.com/blog/dangillmor[5].

From 1994-2004, Gillmor was a columnist at the San Jose Mercury
News, Silicon Valley's daily newspaper, and wrote a weblog for
SiliconValley.com. He joined the Mercury News after six years
with the Detroit Free Press. Before that, he was with the Kansas
City Times and several newspapers in Vermont. A Phi Beta Kappa
graduate of the University of Vermont, Gillmor received a Herbert
Davenport fellowship in 1982 for economics and business reporting
at the University of Missouri School of Journalism. During the
1986-87 academic year he was a journalism fellow at the
University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he studied history,
political theory and economics. He has won or shared in several
regional and national journalism awards. Before becoming a
journalist he played music professionally for seven years.

Contact information:

Dan Gillmor
email: grassroots () gillmor com[7]

Embedded Links (no all appear in email):
[ 1 ]    http://ee380.stanford.edu
[ 2 ]    http://www.dangillmor.com
[ 3 ]    http://www.fallfoto.com/
[ 4 ]    http://www.bayosphere.com
[ 5 ]    http://bayosphere.com/blog/dangillmor
[ 6 ]    http://www.oreilly.com
[ 7 ]    mailto:grassroots () gillmor com