Interesting People mailing list archives

Paranoia and George Orwell

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:50:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 12, 2005 11:25:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: Hiawatha Bray <h_bray () globe com>
Subject: Paranoia and George Orwell

I was wondering about the cluelessness of those ads.

Remember that this is the same company that offered use "freedom from choice" as the slogan for OS/2 (at least for a day or so until, I presume, some adult showed and noticed the banner).

I think there's a similar ad for On-Star.

There's also the editorial from the "Progress and Freedom Foundation (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9589_22-5890967.html? part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnet) which tells us why DRM via TPM (Technical Protection Measures) is good for freedom. In one familiar example it says that if a text book expires in four months then that’s OK because if the provider can make more money by extending it to a year then it will do so. Those aren’t the words used but that’s how I read it. It’s free speech as long as we ask nicely – after all why should we complain since no reasonable request will be refused and how can we get creativity if we allow just anyone to create.