Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Terminati on Fees Hurt Consumers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:47:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Kende <Michael.Kende () analysys com>
Date: October 11, 2005 10:47:48 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Robert Daffin <rsd3414 () ACRretail com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Terminati on Fees Hurt Consumers

One would have thought that with number portability operators would have
changed these practices for a couple of reasons.  Prior to number
portability, it is likely that many of the most attractive (business)
customers were loyal mainly because on average they could least afford
to change their phone numbers, but now of course these customers are
free to shop around.  Operators of course always know more about their
own customers (average monthly bill, quick payment of bills, etc.) than
they could possiblly know about potential new customers (who have
signalled that they are not loyal to their existing provider) so I would
have thought they would try to identify and retain their best customers
with some type of loyalty plans.  I should say that whenever I call my
provider to ask about getting a new phone they always look up my number
and offer me a cheap handset if I sign another long-term contract, but
they have never offered me any loyalty deal out of the blue.

Michael