Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:36:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: jean_camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>
Date: October 31, 2005 10:36:08 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

That is the essential problem - without some requirement for reasonable and mandatory licensing there is no freedom of choice. The Beasty Boys is not a substitute for Bach which is not a substitute for the Beatles. It is the absence of choice and the use of limited monopoly powers to prevent choice and competition that is the problem. Of course, the irony is that those limited monopoly powers are intended to create more choice.

I am all for a market. I would like a competitive one, not a centrally planned market run by monopolists. Those centrally planned markets do seem to be a bit less optimal, and tend to force participants into market subversion.

thanks,
Jean