Interesting People mailing list archives

more on TiVo to Bring TV to iPod and PSP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:22:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ted Nelson <ted () xanadu net>
Date: November 29, 2005 7:38:13 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: tandm () xanadu net, Arthur Bullard <arthur.bullard () oii ox ac uk>, xanni () xanadu net
Subject: [IP] more on TiVo to Bring TV to iPod and PSP

Dave,

Brad makes MythTV sound wonderful, and perhaps it is.
 I understand Tivo has been discontinued in the UK.
 My particular need is to digitize hundreds of videos to MP4
 (now that Ipod and PSP make that the low-fi compression
 of choice).

However, I've just done some searching, and MythTV
 appears to conform to the widely-held but never-stated
 "If you don't know Linux you ain't worth shit" philosophy.
 MythTV is effectively unavailable to non-Linux outsiders.
 You have to buy the parts, install it and configure it yourself.
 Shades of ham radio.  Wait a minute, you can buy prebuilt
 ham radios, but not MythTVs.  How come?

There is an incomprehensible MythTV "store" at mythic.tv,
 but the only prebuilt it offers is a $1600 model for HDTV.

Why don't people get it???  There's a MARKET out there, guys!

Ted

Brad Templeton wrote===Subject:
        [IP] more on TiVo to Bring TV to iPod and PSP