Interesting People mailing list archives

more on IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is ready for consumption

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:02:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bill Williamson <batkiwi () happychinchilla com>
Date: November 28, 2005 5:52:33 PM EST
To: thomas () thomasleavitt org
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is ready for consumption

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is
ready for consumption

The other day, some twit hit a http server I administer with no less
than 6,500 separate exploit attempts (before I blocked the attack) -
friggin' amazing (and kind of scary). The network I'm on gets
literally
hundreds of automated penetration attempts daily.

I don't want my desktop, or my wife's desktop, or my printer, or
anything else on my local network sitting on the open internet -
**SNIP**
If I'm missing something here, and I probably am, maybe someone
else on
the list can fill me in...

Thomas, I don't know anything about your background, so I'll assume it's
not a strong networking one.

What you're missing is the difference between a router and a firewall.
SOHO NAT device companies purposefully blur this distinction, since you do in essence get a "free" firewall by the very nature of NAT, but they have done the general networking community a large disservice. You can have a
firewall even without doing NAT, and in fact limited access, single
directional firewalls are MUCH older than the NAT devices you are used to
using.

To keep it short:  Just because something has a publicly routable IP
address does not mean that it is publicly accessable. When everything is
IPv6, you will replace your NAT/router/modem/etc device with a much
simpler IPv6 firewall device (which already exists if you're willing to
run third party firmware on the Linksys WRT54G dave mentioned a few weeks
ago).  This device will, just as your NAT router does today, only allow
outgoing packets and responses to existing sessions (eg allow the HTTP
server you just contacted to send a response back to your laptop).  IPv6
will give you the OPTION of just plugging directly into the internet, but
that does not mean you will have to!

MANY companies, especially older ones with older contracts which give them "real" IPs, already operate with this type of environment with IPv4. This
is why firewalls have existed long before NAT was designed or became
commonplace.

--Bill